users of drm-legacy-kmod or drm drivers from base

From: Niclas Zeising <zeising_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2020 20:33:55 +0100
[ This is cross-posted across several mailing lists for maximum
visibility.  Please respect reply-to and keep replies to x11_at_FreeBSD.org
. Thank you! ]

In order to improve support for the new lkpi based graphics drivers
(drm-kmod) and to improve the graphics stack we have switched mesa to
prefer DRI3 over DRI2.  This was done in r528071.  For those using
drm-kmod, this should improve performance somewhat, and more importantly
alleviate the use of the FIXDRM option (now removed) in xorg-server.

However, for those of you using graphics/drm-legacy-kmod or the drm
drivers in base, this change can cause issues.  If you are experiencing
problems when running OpenGL applications, you can force the use of the
DRI2 backend.

To force mesa to use DRI2, set the environment variable
LIBGL_DRI3_DISABLE to 1 before starting any OpenGL application.  The
easiest way to accomplish this is by adding it to either your shell
startup file or ~/.xinitrc.

As an example, for users of [t]csh, put
setenv LIBGL_DRI3_DISABLE 1
in ~/.cshrc.

For users of bourne type shells (sh, bash, ksh, zsh, ...) instead put
export LIBGL_DRI3_DISABLE=1
in ~/.profile

If you are using these legacy drivers, I'm also very interested in
hearing what issues you are facing that prevents you from using the new
lkpi based drivers.

Regards
--
Niclas Zeising