Re: New Xorg - different key-codes

From: Bob Willcox <bob_at_immure.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 11:01:09 -0500
On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 04:53:32PM +0100, Michael Gmelin wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Mar 2020 10:36:42 -0500
> Bob Willcox <bob_at_immure.com> wrote:

> > > I plan to sometime today when I get into the office. But since it's
> > > my work system and I am dependent on it to do my job, I've just
> > > been a little hesitant.
> >
> > Ok, I added this to my ~/.xinitrc file:
> >
> > setxkbmap -model pc105 -layout us
> >
> > and my ctwm window adjustment hot keys are working again.  :)
> >
> > I do wonder why it was deemed ok to change the default behavior for
> > the key mappings? Couldn't the default mappings have remained the
> > same with change to evdev? This change certainly violated the
> > "principle of least surprise" for me.
> >

> I think the change was unavoidable, but it could've been communicated
> better. Then again, time and resources are limited and I'm quite
> grateful the graphics team finally made that necessary push forward.
>
> I'm curious how people set their keyboard layout in the past though,
> is it possible that the defaults just worked for US users? I always had
> to set it explicitly (setxkbmap or in Xorg.conf), so I was never really
> affected by this change.
>
> -m
>
> p.s. What does "setxkbmap -query" show if you start X without setting
> the keymap in .xinitrc?

I'll have to try that when I get home tonight on one of my other systems as I really can't
afford to take the time to restart X on this system now...got to get some work done.  :)

Bob

--
Bob Willcox    | It's possible that the whole purpose of your life is to
bob_at_immure.com | serve as a warning to others.