Re: New Xorg - different key-codes

From: Bob Willcox <bob_at_immure.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2020 07:45:55 -0500
On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 11:11:53AM +0100, Michael Gmelin wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Mar 2020 10:31:40 +0100
> Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > This command sets the keyboard layout. You are supposed to set the
> > keyboard layout which matches the physical layout of the hardware.
> > This hadn't changed, it's a fundamental part of X11 since I know it
> > (X11 6.5) and even before...
> > [snip]
>
> Exactly. I just personally prefer to use setxkbmap, as all my setups are
> single user (one unprivileged user per machine that runs X, no shared
> machines) and customization happens in $HOME that way. Makes it a
> bit easier to setup a new machine (no digging in Xorg configs) and
> reading ~/.xinitrc basically tells me all about my current config.
>
> Plus, setxkbmap makes it easy to experiment, as it's applies changes
> while X is running, even if one makes the those changes permanently in
> an xorg config file later. And the resulting command is just one line
> (in my case as short as "setxkbmap -model pc105 -layout de"), makes it
> easier to support people.
>
> Another useful application of the command is for debugging:
> "setxkbmap -query" will tell you what's currently configured (regardless
> how that configuration was done), e.g.,
>
> On a machine running xorg 1.18:
>
> # setxkbmap -query
> rules:      base
> model:      pc105
> layout:     de
>
> On a machine running xorg 1.20:
> rules:      evdev
> model:      pc105
> layout:     de
>
> In both cases the same setxkbmap command was used in ~/.xinitrc to set
> model and layout. Rules were taken from Xorg's default config, which
> changed to evdev in 1.20.

I ran "setxkbmap -query" on my home workstation that hasn't had X updated on it yet
and this is what I got:

rules:      base
model:      pc105
layout:     us

So presumably that was the default setting from when I installed the system last
April. I plan to run this again after I update xorg on this system, but not too
sure when I'll get to that.

Bob

--
Bob Willcox    | It's possible that the whole purpose of your life is to
bob_at_immure.com | serve as a warning to others.