Re: what 3rd party boot mgr is required to boot multiple freebsd versions?

From: Chris <bsd-lists_at_BSDforge.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 07:28:46 -0700
On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 22:03:02 -0500 Karl Denninger karl_at_denninger.net said

> On 3/16/2020 17:33, Chris wrote:

> >> Refind perhaps?
> > Thanks for the reply, Karl! :)
> > I've used that before for FreeBSD/MacOS combos. I'll look at it again.
> >
> > For the record. I'm *only* using FreeBSD in this situation. I
> > only mentioned Windows above, for the use of it's boot manager.
> >
> > Thanks again!
> >
> Refind will find all the bootable EFI "elements" in the EFI partition
> and menu them.  The question then becomes whether multiple efi loaders
> can be told to each use a *different* partition to load the kernel from
> (and thus the loader file, which in turn can tell it where the root
> filesystem is.)
>
> Reading through the man page it appears they may not be.  You could of
> course interrupt it and manually select that, but I suspect that's not
> what you want to have to do.
>
> I use refind on a dual-boot (win10/FreeBSD) system but not with multiple
> independent FreeBSD versions.
Thanks for all the detail, Karl. I was also looking at those details. It
occurs to me that an *ideal* arrangement might be the ability to name each
efi loader according to it's target, or probably better; (name) the directories
that hold the loaders. It just seems wasteful/inefficient to create x number
of efi partitions for x number of OSs. Maybe boot0 could be coerced info
something similar? I'm currently looking at Clover (popular with the
"hackintosh" users) that seems to do something similar.

Thanks again!

--Chris