Re: HOWTO donate CPU to the fight against the Corona-virus

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_leidinger.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 08:38:05 +0100
Quoting Alex S <iwtcex_at_gmail.com> (from Sun, 22 Mar 2020 17:53:47 +0300):

> Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>> First step would be to get CUDA support in FreeBSD.
>
> Ahem, I have a little patch, consisting of several functions
> copy-pasted from the Linux driver, which is supposed to enable core
> CUDA functionality:
> https://github.com/shkhln/nvshim/issues/1#issuecomment-600358438. This
> won't work for applications depending on unified memory support, but
> otherwise should be good enough.

Could you plesae describe a little bit more detailed what your shim
does? I have the impression it maps some linux glibc symbols which are
used in a NVidia library for CUDA which only exists as a linux lib to
FreeBSD symbols and when some FreeBSD binary then tries to load the
NVidia CUDA lib it is then using the FreeBSD libc/m/pthread.

If this is correct, what would be in your opinion the correct way to
get official CUDA support? Something like the following or is more
needed?
  - implement nvida-uvm
  - implement os_lock_user_pages
  - submit the above to NVidia and ask for the CUDA lob to be compiled
for FreeBSD

Bye,
Alexander.

--