Bridge project update (Week of March 23rd)

From: Kristof Provost <kp_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 17:35:41 +0100
Hi,

This week I got a prototype patch running, along the ideas discussed
last week. Essentially, we keep the BRIDGE_LOCK for any add/delete of
interfaces or rt entries, but use CK_LIST and epoch in the data path.
This is a relatively straightforward change, and currently passes the
regression tests (WITNESS/INVARIANTS enabled). I’ve also run traffic
through it without issue.
My current test setup fails to generate sufficient packets to truly
stress the code. I’m hoping to get access to a more suitable setup
next week so I can usefully measure the improvement.

The prototype patch is also running on my home gateway right now. So far
so good!
Assuming no major issues come up in the next week or two I hope to post
the patch for initial review in the near future.

Best regards,
Kristof