Re: When will the FreeBSD (u)EFI work?

From: Konstantin Belousov <kib_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 10:16:13 +0300
On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 08:11:16PM -0700, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:

> On 2020-03-29 20:02, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:
> > Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> >> It's basically this that has been the problem: we need a way to manage
> >> updates of the EFI loader in this situation, which we don't currently
> >> have. The ESP needs to be mounted at a standard point,
> >> installworld/freebsd-update/etc. need to know to replace files there, we
> >> need to fall back cleanly on older systems, etc. The original (failed --
> > Actually if you are doing secure boot, the *last* thing you want is to
> > update /efi/boot with an unsigned update.
> >
> > So I would think it should be done as a unique operation - do you don't
> > do it accidentally.
> >
> > At least that's how I'm handling it for embedded devices.
> >

> The problem then is that we have treated loader as a
> continuously-updatable part of the OS, like the kernel, and the update
> system and development process assumes they get updated in sync.

I do not see problems with boot1.efi.  I use it in a way you described:
I put it on ESP (in fact manually, but it does not matter) and only
update loader.efi on /root.  This works quite satisfactory for my updates
11->12-13 CURRENT and stable.

I would highly prefer this model was not broken, whatever additional
update options for loader are added.  It is zero-maintaince for me.