Re: USB microphones with FreeBSD-CURRENT

From: Graham Perrin <grahamperrin_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 20:06:15 +0100
On 28/03/2020 12:45, Jan Beich wrote:
> Graham Perrin <grahamperrin_at_gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I can't get web browsers to recognise USB microphones.
>>
>> USB output (e.g. to my headphones) is OK.
>>
>> USB input (e.g. from the microphone part of the headphones) is not.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
> Firefox uses "pulse-rust" cubeb backend *by default* if "pulseaudio"
> package is installed. getUserMedia is supposed to preset a dropdown menu
> to select a microphone. Make sure pulseaudio actually recognizes the
> desired microphone e.g., debug via "pactl list" and "parec".
>
> I don't have a mic but, looking at the code, only pulse-rust or pulse
> backends on Linux/FreeBSD support selecting non-default audio device.
> It maybe possible to use other backends but if audio device used for
> output and input are different that'd require routing defaults which can
> be done via config file (e.g., ~/.asoundrc) or externally via virtual_oss.
>
>> pcm3: <USB audio> (play/rec) default
>> pcm4: <USB audio> (rec)
> Are these distinct physical devices?

Yes.

>> hw.snd.default_unit: 3
> Have you tried using 4?

I did, but decided that the device previously at 4 (Alctron USB700
<https://www.alctron-audio.com/EN/microphones/USB/USB700.html>) probably
has a hardware fault.

Worth noting: if I attempt to suspend the system whilst the device at 3
(SteelSeries Siberia 350 headphones with integral microphone
<https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/siberia-350>) is physically
connected, suspend sometimes fails; it becomes necessary to force off
the computer.

If I start the system with the headphones connected, then the microphone
at 3 is usable at e.g.
<https://www.podcastinsights.com/online-mic-test/> and
<https://talky.io/> (see <https://i.imgur.com/Ch3SuZn.png>) but not in
Microsoft Teams.

If I disconnect the headphones (to minimise the risk of failure to
suspend), then reconnect, the system seems unable to reuse the
headphones (see <https://i.imgur.com/8Of5MUK.png>); a restart is required.

In Microsoft Teams, neither 2 nor 3 is detected; there's only 1 (see
<https://i.imgur.com/13HmxKi.png>) and after allowing use of /dev/dsp1
it 'disappears', leaving only the camera in use (head of
<https://i.imgur.com/k5ak2jL.png>).