Re: lock order reversal and poudriere

From: Ian Lepore <ian_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 03 May 2020 10:04:04 -0600
On Sat, 2020-05-02 at 20:36 +0200, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
> Hi!

> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Yes, they should be checked and reported.
> > >
> > > For more details see:
> > >
> > > http://sources.zabbadoz.net/freebsd/lor.html
> > >
> > > There's a webpage with a list of all known LORs and a way to
> > > report new LORs.
> > Thanks Kurt. I can't find those two specific LORs in the list on that
> > page. The page also says to report them using a link, which leads to 404
> > :-), or on this mailing list, which I did. I am not sure what else should
> > I do.
>
> I don't know, either 8-} bz_at_ is in Cc:, so he'll probably know what
> to do.

That LOR site hasn't been updated in years.  Many many years.

The sad truth appears to be that nobody cares about LORs anymore.  The
same ones have been there for years.  Nobody fixes them, nobody does
anything to suppress reporting them.  We just keep pointing new users
to a dead website because that has always been the only response
available.

> > How do I know if I have got a backtrace?
> >
> > Are those errors:
> >
> > pid 43297 (conftest), jid 5, uid 0: exited on signal 11
> >
> > related or it's a different issue?
>
> I think that's a different issue.

Segfaults and other problems with a program named "conftest" while
building ports is normal.  Autotools' configure script writes and runs
programs named conftest to detect the presence or absence of features
or bugs.  That doesn't mean every failure of a program named conftest
is normal and expected, but in general it's not a thing to worry about.

-- Ian