Re: sysutils/screen-ncurses port

From: Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_cschubert.com>
Date: Sun, 03 May 2020 13:10:58 -0700
In message <20200430130449.cwsf3x42o6w67gor_at_ivaldir.net>, Baptiste
Daroussin wr
ites:

> --mvhxgm4zl62unzlf
>
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 05:56:54AM -0700, Cy Schubert wrote:
> > In message <20200430075337.3wdzglshhorcd2qn_at_ivaldir.net>, Baptiste=20
> > Daroussin wr
> > ites:
> > >=20
> > >
> > > --vwrr5drfobpkyvop

> at=3D
> > > =3D20
> this=3D
> > > =3D20
> ist =3D
> > > in=3D20
>  to=3D
> > > =3D20
> e=3D20
> lway=3D
> > > s=3D20
> tion=3D
> > > s.=3D20
> > >
> > > I think it is a terrible idea, and we should fix the initial problem in=
> stea=3D
> > > d of
> > > workarounding it.
> > >
> > > 1/ why those are not in our termcap(5) ? they should be added if they a=
> re
> > > missing. and MFC asap (prior 11.4 and 12.2 would be nice)
> >=20
> > I came to this conclusion last night after sending this email thread oud=
> =20
> > and will test it some time today.
> >=20
> > >
> > > 2/ we should allow our base ncurses to get informations from newer term=
> cap(=3D
> > > 5) if
> > > needed.
> > > So far the default TERMCAP is
> > > ${HOME}/.termcap{,.db}:/etc/termcap{,.db}:/usr/share/misc/termcap{,.db}
> > >
> > > First the user can be advise to point configure the $home/.termcap this=
>  is =3D
> > > for
> > > quick now.
>
> that is in your scope via a pkg-message :D
>

> > > Second for later futur proof mechanism we could modify our termcap read=
> er (=3D
> > > we
> > > use our own, not the one in provided by ncurses). to be able to fetch t=
> ermc=3D
> > > ap
> > > capabilities from /usr/local/share/misc/termcap/*.conf for example
> > >
> > > This way ports with random termcap info to add would be able to do it w=
> itho=3D
> > > ut
> > > the requirement to wait for a commit in base and a MFC.
> >=20
> > This is probably outside of my scope at the moment but, yes, agreed.
> >=20
> I will then.
> I added that to my TODO

There's already a utility in devel/ncurses called infotocap (and its
corresponding captoinfo) that already does this. Both are links to tic. Our
ncurses import includes tic. Looks like all that's needed is add it to
buildworld.

I can look at it later tonight. Seems like a quick win.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_cschubert.com>