Re: lockups on lenovo p43s under current

From: Pete Wright <pete_at_nomadlogic.org>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 16:21:54 -0700
On 5/11/20 3:28 PM, Yuri Pankov wrote:
> Pete Wright wrote:
>> hello,
>> i have a lenovo thinkpad P43s that exhibits lockups under CURRENT but
>> behaves fine when running STABLE.  i've tried to find a fully
>> reproducible situation to get this system to lockup but haven't found
>> anything yet.  i am starting to suspect that the changes implemented
>> in this review may be the issue though:
>>
>> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D23728
>>
>> my reasoning is that i've observed issues when:
>> - removing AC power from the laptop, or inserting AC power
>> - when the system display has gone to sleep
>> - randomly hanging during boot with this as last line:
>> battery0: battery enitialization start
>>
>> unfortunately while the above seem to be cases where this has
>> happened i haven't been able to %100 reproduce yet.
>>
>> so my first question is - would it be possible to just revert the
>> changes in that diff, or has too much time gone past to just back out
>> that single change.  alternatively, is there any debugging
>> information i can get on my end that might help figure out what the
>> root cause is?
>
> Not really what you are asking, but it's possible to disable ACPI
> subdevices, so you could check if disabling cmbat completely helps and
> it's indeed the suspect:
>
> debug.acpi.disabled="cmbat"

Thanks Yuri,
So I was able to boot my system once via batter with this set, but
unfortunately it crashed after I tried to suspend/resume.  Realizing
that was a bit optimistic I attempted to reboot the system and wasn't
able to get it to fully boot after several attempts.

I believe what the next step at this point is checkout the code right
before this commit and see if I can get it to successfully boot.  I'll
report back if I find anything after that test.

-pete

--
Pete Wright
pete_at_nomadlogic.org