Re: lockups on lenovo p43s under current

From: Pete Wright <pete_at_nomadlogic.org>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 08:26:26 -0700
On 5/11/20 3:16 PM, Pete Wright wrote:
> hello,
> i have a lenovo thinkpad P43s that exhibits lockups under CURRENT but
> behaves fine when running STABLE.  i've tried to find a fully
> reproducible situation to get this system to lockup but haven't found
> anything yet.  i am starting to suspect that the changes implemented
> in this review may be the issue though:
>
> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D23728
>
> my reasoning is that i've observed issues when:
> - removing AC power from the laptop, or inserting AC power
> - when the system display has gone to sleep
> - randomly hanging during boot with this as last line:
> battery0: battery enitialization start
>
> unfortunately while the above seem to be cases where this has happened
> i haven't been able to %100 reproduce yet.
>
> so my first question is - would it be possible to just revert the
> changes in that diff, or has too much time gone past to just back out
> that single change.  alternatively, is there any debugging information
> i can get on my end that might help figure out what the root cause is?

closing the loop on this - I am able to run CURRENT on this system by
defining this in /boot/loader.conf:
hint.hwpstate_intel.0.disabled="1"

thanks to Diane Bruce for mentioning this issue in the following thread
which gave me the hint i needed:
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2020-May/076123.html

-pete

--