Re: Shutdown errors and timeout

From: Johan Hendriks <joh.hendriks_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 12:26:48 +0100
On 13/11/2020 11:55, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> On 11/13/20 11:35 AM, Johan Hendriks wrote:
>
> Just my 2c...
>

>> The vritual machine seems to fail stopping something and gives a
>> timeout after 90 sec.
>
> I've seen this on many (physical) boxes and I solved by increasing
> shutdown timeout. Sometimes 90s is just too little (especially, but
> not only, if you have VMs running).
>
> E.g. I have rcshutdown_timeout="600" in /etc/rc.conf and
> kern.init_shutdown_timeout=900 in /etc/sysctl.conf.
>

>> On the bare metal machine i see the following.
>> Writing entropy file: .
>> Writing early boot entropy file: .
>> cannot unmount '/var/run': umount failed
>> cannot unmount '/var/log': umount failed
>> cannot unmount '/var': umount failed
>> cannot unmount '/usr/home': umount failed
>> cannot unmount '/usr': umount failed
>> cannot unmount '/': umount failed
>
> Probably a process is still running and that's why those filesystems
> cannot be (unforcibly) unmounted.
> Logs can help identify which process it is.
> Perhaps putting rc_debug="YES" in /etc/rc.conf can be useful.
>

>  bye
>     av.

Thank you for your anwer.
The rc_debug showed me that the virtualox server are hangs on zfs_stop,
if i do not enable bastille and reboot all is fine after a shutdown, so
i think the jail zfs datasets are interfering.
The baremetal server is not waiting for anything just throw the umount
errors directly.

regards.