Re: Zpool doesn't boot anymore after FreeBSD 12.1

From: Toomas Soome <tsoome_at_me.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 17:30:16 +0300
> On 22. Oct 2020, at 16:42, Andriy Gapon <avg_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> On 22/10/2020 16:39, Cassiano Peixoto wrote:
>> Hi Andriy,
>>
>> I've just tried copying my zfsloader from 11.2-STABLE (R350026) to FreeBSD 12.1
>> and 12.2 (STABLE) and fixed the issue.
>>
>> I also tried to use zfsloader of 11.3 but didn't work and the same issue happened.
>>
>> So it seems that something has changed on zfsloader after 11.2 that brings this
>> issue.
>>
>> My question is: Should it be expected or is it a bug to be fixed?
>>

> In my opinion it's a bug.
> zfsloader should not require that disks must be partitioned.

maybe, maybe not. Anyhow you can only practice this with pc bios systems and those systems will be gone. And the buggier the emulated bios implementations are, the sooner this will happen….

But, since we now can determine usable disk size from zfs asize, we actually can lift the limit, but that limit does not explain errors from INT13.

So something else is going on there. And since there is no reason to build complicated pool layout in virtual machine, I gave my suggestion.

rgds,
toomas