Re: OpenZFS: kldload zfs.ko freezes on i386 4GB memory

From: Matthew Macy <mmacy_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2020 17:32:08 -0700

> Getting back to your original question. A more efficient ARC would exercise
> your memory more intensely because you are replacing disk reads with memory
> reads. And as I said before the old ZFS "found" weak RAM on three separate
> occasions in three different machines over the last ten years. You're
> advised to replace the marginal memory.

Ryan has been able to reproduce this in a VM with 4GB, similarly a VM
with 2GB loads just fine. It would seem that 4GB triggers a bug in
limit handling. We're hoping that we can simply lower one of the
default limits on i386 and make the problem go away.

Please don't shoot the messenger when I observe that, generally
speaking, i386 is considered a self supported platform due to ZFS
general inability to perform well with limited memory or KVA. Long
mode has been available on virtually all processors shipped since
2006.

Cheers.
-M