Re: Please check the current beta git conversions

From: Thomas Mueller <mueller6722_at_twc.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2020 02:37:45 +0000
from Ed Maste:

> > Any guidance on amount of diskspace and how long it takes to clone the repo ?

> I see just over 3GB in my clone, including about 2.5GB in the .git directory.

> If you have only one checkout git will require a bit more disk space
> than svn. However, if you have two or more working trees (say, vanilla
> FreeBSD and multiple work-in-progress trees, or head and stable
> branches, etc.) using "git worktree" will share the .git directory and
> in total will occupy less space than the equivalent in svn.

> I'd expect clones to take minutes, although cgit-beta is running on a
> lower spec jail host and might have trouble if many people are cloning
> at the same time.

2.5 GB in .git directory sounds crazy and incomprehensible to me.

Only src tree I would be interested in now is HEAD (13-current), though I would also want the ports and doc trees.  Would that mollify the diskspace bloat?

I had trouble with the ethernet and wireless network drivers in FreeBSD 12 and 13-current, but there subsequently was a post on a big improvement to the network drivers for HEAD but not 12-stable.

So I am abandoning FreeBSD 12.x .

Hopefully I could update 13-current from within 13-current where I have no internet access but could use git from NetBSD, where I also have svn.

Tom