Re: Plans for git

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2020 17:06:19 -0700
Willem Jan Withagen wjw at digiware.nl wrote on
Wed Sep 2 19:50:35 UTC 2020 :

> For me Git without Github (or any other reviewing environment) is only
> half the change, so I'm wondering where code review will take place.

When I look at the likes of, say, https://cgit-beta.freebsd.org/src/log/
and see content in columns for:

Commit message (Expand)	Author	Age	Files	Lines

and see lines like:

Fix a buffer overrun. John Baldwin	31 hours	1	-3/+3

it gives me no clue where/what-area in the tree had changes
that provided such a fix. (It is just an example of many
where I find a subsystem context unable to be readily
identified.)

A https://cgit-beta.freebsd.org/src/ (summary) example is:

Age	Commit message	Author	Files	Lines

12 hours	Fix build fallout after r365054 .	Hans Petter Selasky	1	-1/+1

I used to (still) monitor via the likes of:

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/svn-src-head/2020-September/thread.html

Seeing things like "svn commit: r365039 - head/sys/arm64/arm64"
was useful for how I used to monitor: a lot I could ignore based
on the subsystem involved and selectively look at the ones of
potential interest.

Is there going to be some rough equivalent to the
pipermail/svn-src-head/*-*/* list with identifications
analogous to head/sys/arm64/arm64 ? (Something that
can be browsed and easily allows selectively looking
at specific commits.)

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com