Re: Please check the current beta git conversions

From: Steve Wills <swills_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2020 10:05:02 -0400
Hi,

On 9/1/20 1:14 PM, Ed Maste wrote:
> We've been updating the svn-git converter and pushing out a new
> converted repo every two weeks, and are now approaching the time where
> we'd like to commit to the tree generated by the exporter, and
> guarantee that hashes will remain consistent from this point. At this
> point the Git Working Group believes the conversion represents a
> high-fidelity translation of the Subversion history, but would
> appreciate additional review in case we've missed anything.
>
> I'd ask folks with an interest in the FreeBSD repository to clone the
> beta conversion and review the converted history in the specific areas
> they are interested in - e.g., specific contrib/ software, device
> drivers, etc. This will also present our final opportunity to change
> the author map file, if necessary.
>
> The beta src tree can be cloned via:
> % git clone https://cgit-beta.freebsd.org/src.git freebsd-cgit-beta
>
> Please follow up this week if you notice any discrepancies or author
> entries that require updates.

One issue that's been seen is adding this remote to an existing repo:

$ git remote add cgit-beta https://cgit-beta.freebsd.org/ports.git
$ git fetch cgit-beta
error: RPC failed; HTTP 413 curl 22 The requested URL returned error: 413
fatal: the remote end hung up unexpectedly

413 is Payload too large

This is because when you fetch, you're telling the other end what hashes
you have and it's figuring out what to send you, and that list is too
large, over 10m, I guess:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7489813/github-push-error-rpc-failed-result-22-http-code-413#15021750

It's unclear if there's a way to tell the client to skip that and just
fetch everything or if it's required to change the upload limit on the
web server and if so how large would be appropriate/required.

Note fresh clone works fine.

Steve