Re: Please check the current beta git conversions

From: Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen_at_sdaoden.eu>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2020 17:18:25 +0200
Renato Botelho wrote in
 <d0224511-dec0-44f4-4904-ad5b55f4edc7_at_FreeBSD.org>:
 |On 02/09/20 20:20, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
 |> Ed Maste wrote in
 |>   <CAPyFy2Ajr3C8LM=x=_WOhV9XXMFN-80_8AP5SSta7a1FgaTGRA_at_mail.gmail.com>:
 |>
 |> I tried simply updating my github clone by switching
 |>
 |>    url = https://cgit-beta.freebsd.org/src.git
 |>    #url = https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd.git
 |>
 |> and whereas ls-remote worked fine fetch -v --dry-run aborted as
 |> well as normal fetch, after dumping dozens of POSTs
 |>
 |>    POST git-upload-pack (gzip 1472 to 804 bytes)
 |>    POST git-upload-pack (gzip 976722 to 483608 bytes)
 |>    POST git-upload-pack (chunked)
 |>    error: RPC failed; HTTP 413 curl 22 The requested URL returned \
 |>    error: 413
 |>    fatal: the remote end hung up unexpectedly
 |>
 |> Maybe clone from scratch instead, but mysterious it is?
 |> Good night, and Ciao from Germany,
 |
 |github and cgit-beta repositories are not the same.  Commit hashes won't
 |match so you cannot simply change the URL.

Yes i know that, but most of the blobs are of course the same, no?
The same files.  All that is new are likely the notes and commit
objects, even the directory tree objects could often be the same,
but i do not know, also because i do not have the new data yet.
(But it is 100% that i will not actually inspect this deeply.)
Maybe they should split in cgit. and scm. (or .git) and use the
git-http-backend for clones on scm. (or .git) and then redirect
some requests, this works fine for years:

      url.redirect = (
         "^.*/([^/]+\.git/objects/.*)" => "https://???/scm/$1",
         "^.*/([^/]+\.git/info/refs\?service.*)" =>
               "https://????/scm/$1"
      )

I mean i really like saving some download that would go over
thousands of kilometres for absolutely nothing.
And i think it would be cool if all the many people which clone
the github repo just update to the finally landed freebsd.org
instance.

--steffen