Re: Wake from sleep kinda broken-ish? (ThinkPad Carbon X1 6th gen)

From: Li-Wen Hsu <lwhsu_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 15:07:54 +0800
On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 2:30 PM Andriy Gapon <avg_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 15/09/2020 23:13, Eirik Øverby wrote:
> >>
> >> Is that the only thing that changed?
> >> Any port / package upgrades?
> >
> > There have been updates to packages, yes - but it didn't even occur to me that these could impact the resume process at such an early stage. Not sure which that would be; obviously the drm module has been rebuilt each time I upgraded, but I don't have any other kernel modules installed from packages.

Which version of drm module are you using?

> Yes, I specifically had drm modules in mind.

I also use X1C 6th and it was working perfectly after updating BIOS to
1.30 (which I'm currently using) in Sep. 2018 [1]. I don't remember
any suspend/resume failures. But since late 2019, it has exactly the
same symptom as yours. Suspending is fine, but upon resuming, there is
about a 50% probability that the power LDE continues pulsating with
all other LDEs like FnLock and CapsLock are on like the machine is
awake.

I still doubt if this is related to drm. I have tried to
suspend/resume without drm module loads, all successed, but the number
of the experiments are too small (< 10) so I can't tell if this is the
conclusion.

Currently I'm on r363470 with drm-devel-kmod-5.3.g20200724. While
reporting issue [2], I found that setting hw.i915kms.enable_psr=0 in
/boot/loader.conf helps. Before that it has about a 30% probability of
failing to resume (yes one of the few things getting better in 2020),
after that, I still see some failures, but the failure rate reduces to
about 5~10%.

I haven't upgraded to newer kernel/world and drm-devel-kmod yet.

[1] https://twitter.com/lwhsu/status/1039711710913945601
[2] https://github.com/freebsd/drm-kmod/issues/14

Best,
Li-Wen