USB drives & OpenZFS

From: Dustin Marquess <dmarquess_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 04:03:29 -0500
There seems to be a problem with OpenZFS when shutting down a machine
that boots from USB.

My machine has two SD cards in an adapter board that plugs into an
internal USB port on the motherboard.  On these two cards I have the
UEFI loader and a mirror zpool containing just the bare minimum to
boot.  Once the machine boots, it mounts the "big" SAS tank containing
everything else.

This worked perfectly and still works mostly after the OpenZFS merge.
The only problem now is shutting down/rebooting.  if I try to reboot,
it hangs:

Freed UMA keg (rtentry) was not empty (1 items).  Lost 1 pages of memory.
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `vnlru' to stop... done
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `syncer' to stop...
Syncing disks, vnodes remaining... 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 done
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system thread `bufdaemon' to stop... done
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system thread `bufspacedaemon-0' to stop... done
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system thread `bufspacedaemon-1' to stop... done
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system thread `bufspacedaemon-2' to stop... done
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system thread `bufspacedaemon-3' to stop... done
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system thread `bufspacedaemon-4' to stop... done
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system thread `bufspacedaemon-5' to stop... done
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system thread `bufspacedaemon-6' to stop... done
All buffers synced.
Uptime: 1h52m34s
uhub4: detached
uhub2: detached
uhub3: detached
uhub1: detached
uplcom0: detached
umass0: detached
Solaris: WARNING: Pool 'zroot' has encountered an uncorrectable I/O
failure and has been suspended.

I'm guessing it's because it appears that the USB subsystem shuts down
before the pool itself?  Once this happens I have to reset the machine
via IPMI to get everything to boot back up.

Has anybody else seen this?

Thanks!
-Dustin