Re: rfc: should extant TLS connections be closed when a CRL is updated?

From: Rick Macklem <rmacklem_at_uoguelph.ca>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 02:16:36 +0000
John-Mark Gurney wrote:
>Rick Macklem wrote this message on Fri, Sep 04, 2020 at 01:20 +0000:
>> The server side NFS over TLS daemon (rpc.tlsservd) can reload an updated
>> CRL (Certificate Revocation List) when a SIGHUP is posted to it.
>> However, it does not SSL_shutdown()/close() extant TCP connections using TLS.
>> (Those would only be closed if the daemon is restarted.)
>>
>> I am now thinking that, maybe, an SSL_shutdown()/close() should be done on
>> all extant TCP connections using NFS over TLS when an updated CRL is loaded,
>> since a connection might have used a revoked certificate for its handshake.
>>
>> What do others think?
>
>IMO, this should scan the existing connections, and only shut them
>down if they are using a revoked Cert.  This is the correct way to
>do things.
>
>I do realize that this is likely not possible, and in reality, the
>ssl library in use should do this automatically, but likely does not.
Well, not exactly "automatically, but X509_CRL_get0_by_ccert() checks
to see if a certificate is revoked, so all the code needed to do was
read the CRL file and then loop through the certificates, checking
each one.

>As the library likely does not, we should probably make this an
>option to close all connections upon CRL reload, with it being well
>documented.
>
>Now that option should likely be set to default on, but documented
>such that if you do regular/often CRL reloads, that a user may want
>to turn that off if it's disruptive to their server.
Not necessary, since doing just the revoked ones seems to work.

If you are curious, you can look at the recent commits or code
under head/projects/nfs-over-tls.

If anyone is interested in testing it, you can look at:
https://people.freebsd.org/~rmacklem/nfs-over-tls-setup.txt

Thanks for the useful suggestion, rick

--
  John-Mark Gurney                              Voice: +1 415 225 5579