Re: Deprecating ftpd in the FreeBSD base system?

From: John-Mark Gurney <jmg_at_funkthat.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 12:49:41 -0700
Ian Lepore wrote this message on Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 09:01 -0600:
> On Thu, 2020-09-17 at 18:43 +0400, Gleb Popov wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 6:05 PM Cy Schubert <
> > Cy.Schubert_at_cschubert.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I've been advocating removing FTP (and HTTP) from libfetch as well.
> > > People
> > > should be using HTTPS only.
> > >

> > Isn't this a bit too much? I often find myself in need to download
> > something starting with "http://" or "ftp://" and use fetch for this.
>
> Indeed, we have products which rely on this ability in libfetch and we
> have to keep supporting them for many many years to come.
>
> I hate it when someone imperiously declares [For security reasons]
> "People should/shouldn't be using ______".  You have no idea what the
> context is, and thus no ability to declare what should or shouldn't be
> used in that context.  For example, two embedded systems talking to
> each other over a point to point link within a sealed device are not
> concerned about man in the middle attacks or other modern internet
> threats.

And I really dislike when people want to make sure that their unique
case that less than a percent of people would every hit blocks the
security improvements for the majority of people...

I've given up on a number of security improvements in FreeBSD because
of this attitude...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579