Re: Plans for git

From: Steve Kargl <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2020 10:16:28 -0700
On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 08:41:13AM -0700, Pete Wright wrote:

> > > making quarterly reports about this for almost a years as well. We put out
> > > calls for people to help with the efforts about the same time. We have
> > > tried at every step of the way to be open and honest that this was going to
> > > happen.
> > All developer centric communications....
>
> I would argue that quarterly reports are actually one of the few methods of
> getting accurate information about the state of the project as a
> non-insider.  i've been following the progress of this work via the
> quarterly status reports for years now, and as someone who is merely a
> freebsd operator felt like i was more or less kept up to date on this
> eventuality.
>
> honestly there has to be *some* responsibility of operators to at least make
> an effort to keep up to date on the status of the various efforts in such a
> large project.  and as an outsider the idea that comms can only happen on
> the mailing list isn't the greatest - how am i to know that the idea of one
> person on the ML carries more weight than another, or one persons opinion is
> the "official" stated opinion of the core group?

Traditionally, this has been done through the freebsd-hackers and
freebsd-current mailing lists.  Admittedly, the freebsd-current
mailing list has never recovered from the jenkins debacle.  Making
an announcement or seeking input about a conversion from subversion
to git on the freebsd-git mailing list is self-fulfilling.  People
interested in git on FreeBSD will subscribe to that list.  People
not interested in git, oh well, they'll find out eventually.

Of course, not seeking input on the mailing lists avoids the
inevitable bikeshed.  A discussion about a conversion from
subversion to git would devolve rather quickly.

--
Steve