Re: Plans for git

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2020 16:34:06 -0700
On Sun, 20 Sep 2020 at 15:37, Rick Macklem <rmacklem_at_uoguelph.ca> wrote:

> Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> > On 2020-09-19, Zaphod Beeblebrox <zbeeble_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hrm.  Maybe what I hear others saying, tho, and not entirely being
> replied
> > > to is just a nice concise document of the why.  What I hear you saying
> is
> > > that GIT has momentum and that it's popular... (and I accept that ---
> it is
> > > evidently true), but then I hear handwaving about features, but no
> list of
> > > features that are a clear win/loose.
> >
> > How about the very basics (that Warner appears to have lost sight
> > of)?
> >
> > Git is a distributed version control system.  You clone a repository
> > and apart from pulling and pushing changes to another repository,
> > all your work happens with the local repository.  Subversion has a
> > central repository and needs to talk to the server all the time.
> > Laptop on a plane?  No change of workflow with Git.
> Well, I (mostly lurk) on the linux-nfs_at_vger.kernels.org mailing list,
> where the Linux NFS work gets done.
> What I see is the following, when someone has an enhancement/change
> for the Linux NFS code.
> Do I see one diff with all the changes in it...No.
> I see anywhere from a few to over 50 email messages, each with
> one little piece of the pie, out of git.
>
> I have no idea how they review this stuff.

It's done in patchwork.kernel.org. This takes the contents of very
specifically correctly formatted git-email contents and wraps up the series
as something that can be assigned to patchwork users for review/feedback.
All of it goes in and out of email.

It's basically using the public Linux email lists as part discussion and
part RPC between everyones' git repositories.

I think this stuff predates github, where there's a much nicer web flow for
doing stuff like this.

The linux model works great in a world where you're /truely/ decentralised.
I bet that 99% of git users use some web frontend that's integrated into CI
and patch review.

HTH,

-adrian