Re: TCP Connection hang - MSS again

From: Rodney W. Grimes <freebsd-rwg_at_gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2021 10:02:43 -0700 (PDT)

> >> This is also per-host setting, you know :-)
> >>
> >> It is generally bad idea using MTU over 1500 for an interface facing public network
> >> without -mtu 1500. You see, because TCP MSS affects only TCP and there is also UDP
> >> that happily produces oversized datagramms for DNS or RTP or NFS or tunneling like L2TP or OpenVPN etc.
> >> relying on IP fragmentation.
> >>
> >> I still recommend using -mtu 1500 in addition to mssdflt in your case.
> >
> > I do not recommend such a setting.  That would defeat any jumbo frame usage
> > locally!
>
> Why? Default route should not be used for local delivery.

Your right, but we are both making assumptions, I assumed that most
likely the only route on the system is the default route, and your
assuming that they are running with something more than a default
route.

> > The gateway/router that is forwarding packets to the internet connection
> > needs its upstream interface mtu set properly, and configured to properly
> > return icmp need fragement messages on the interfaces towards the
> > internal network.
>
> This results in extra delays and retransmission during outgoing data transfer, not good.
> The mechanics is much more fragile than default route's mtu attribute.

The delay should be pretty slight, the router is going to return an
icmp message, and if configured to do so frag the packets and
forward them on, no retransmission would occur as the DF flag
is not normally set unless explicitly requested.

It still makes no since to me to increase the interface MTU and then
crank it back down by using a route MTU.  You might as well just leave
the MTU alone and not have 2 configurations items more or less doing
nothing.

--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes_at_freebsd.org