Re: (D29934) Reorder commented steps in UPDATING following sequential order. (was: etcupdate -p vs. root on zfs (and bectl use and such): no /usr/src/etc/master.passwd (for example))

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 10:47:08 -0700
On 2021-Apr-25, at 08:14, Graham Perrin <grahamperrin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 23/04/2021 08:39, Mark Millard via freebsd-current wrote:
>
>> 	<reboot in single user>				[3]
>

> With regard to mounting ZFS file systems in single user mode
>
> What's currently footnote 3 will probably become footnote 4, please see:
>
> <https://reviews.freebsd.org/D29934#inline-186101>
>
> … and so on.

If it were me, I'd probably do something to make the
mounting of file systems and such have an explicit
reminder as its own step, something like:

	<reboot in single user>
	<mount file systems, cd to src, adjust time>	[4]
	mergemaster -Fp					[5]

I just do not think of such as part of <reboot in single user>:
it is already rebooted in single user at that point in my
view.

Sorry that I missed what was there in UPDATING.

However, /usr/src/Makefile has:

#  1.  `cd /usr/src'       (or to the directory containing your source tree).
#  2.  `make buildworld'
#  3.  `make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'     (default is GENERIC).
#  4.  `make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'   (default is GENERIC).
#       [steps 3. & 4. can be combined by using the "kernel" target]
#  5.  `reboot'        (in single user mode: boot -s from the loader prompt).
#  6.  `mergemaster -p'
#  7.  `make installworld'
#  8.  `mergemaster'            (you may wish to use -i, along with -U or -F).
#  9.  `make delete-old'
# 10.  `reboot'
# 11.  `make delete-old-libs' (in case no 3rd party program uses them anymore)

without such material, even in footnotes.

Side notes:

"From the bootblocks, boot -s, and then do":
"From the boot loader, boot -s, and then do"?

etcupdate vs. mergemaster and the $FreeBSD$ issue?
Is mergemaster going to stay as the recommented
command to use? If so, with which command line
options?

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com