Re: git magic in contrib/bc

From: Stefan Esser <se_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 21:37:22 +0200
Am 28.04.21 um 20:44 schrieb Michael Gmelin:

> On Wed, 28 Apr 2021 20:00:38 +0300
> Yuri Pankov <yuripv_at_ftml.net> wrote:
>
>> Not sure if it's just me, but I'm seeing a bit of git weirdness in
>> contrib/bc:
>
> I'm seeing the same here, also when doing:
>
>   rm .git/index
>   git reset
>   git status
>
> after this, `git diff' also shows what changed in those files (basically
> every line). It's all whitespace characters, as `git diff -w' is empty.
>
> Turns out EOLs changed, I suspect this is due to the eol overrides in
> contrib/bc/.gitattributes. If I comment those out, "git diff" is silent
> again.

Yes, the new file .gitattributes has recently been committed by me
as part of an upgrade.

I do assume that the files affected are only for the Windows build
that has been added in version 4.0.0.

I do not know how to fix this problem (and whether this is just a
nuisance or an actual problem).

The upstream repository is https://git.yzena.com/gavin/bc and I have
performed a "diff -r" of the distfile of the math/gh-bc port against
the files in vendor/bc in our repository (before the commit to that
repository) and thus any change that we locally apply will need to
be upstreamed.

Regards, STefan