How to setup ZFS mirrored boot device

From: joe mcguckin <joe_at_via.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2021 15:56:41 -0800
I tried this but it’s not quite working.

LSI controller flashed with IT firmware.

2) 1T SSD drives

During the install process, I select to create a mirrored ZFS root. It appears to be created
and there is a zroot dataset. zpool status shows everythings ok.

Now it gets interesting:

I pull one drive after  poweron but before FreeBSD starts - everything boots ok, zpool status reports one drive missing and suggests that I replace the missing drive and do a “zpool online”
I do so and zpool reports everything’s ok.

Now lets reboot and just after Bios power on, pull drive 2. FreeBSD boots until it wants to mount the root partition, can’t find it, dumps me into a menual drive selection prompt.

Hmm, I thought the point of a mirror was that *either* drive could fail.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Joe

Joe McGuckin