Re: loader/boot fonts are painfully small (again)

From: Daniel Nebdal <dnebdal_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 16:55:41 +0100
On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 at 15:33, Rodney W. Grimes <
freebsd-rwg_at_gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> wrote:

> > > On 11. Feb 2021, at 23:21, Yuri Pankov <yuripv_at_yuripv.dev> wrote:
> > >
> > > Lenovo P51 laptop, 15'' 4k (3840x2160) display.
> > >
> > > Booting from the latest available current snapshot (20210107), fonts
> > > were at least readable; updating to the latest bits (manually
> installing
> > > new loader as well) made them really small -- terminal size reported by
> > > stty is 480x135.
> > >

> > It is a issue about not so good automatic font size setup. The original
> code was using 80x24 terminal as base, it was complained it did end up with
> too large fonts, so I did pick uefi terminal size as base (see output from
> mode command), but thats also not perfect. Till better solution, right now
> the option is to set font manually (screen.font variable).
>
> Can we just stick with the "known to work almost everywhere and always"
> default value of 80x24?  These small fonts are great for those of you
> who have 20/20 un corrected vision, but it is a royal PITA for almost
> anyone who has even a slight visual imparement, even corrected I find
> it near imposible to read the default efi screens we put up.
>
> I would suggest we also override this in the -RELEASE/SNAPSHOT
> media as one just does not need to fight this font size issue
> while trying to install a new system.
>
> Thanks,
> Rod
> >
> > > I have also noticed large delays between different loader screens,
> > > probably caused by very slow screen blanking given the terminal size?
> >
> > yes, it definitely needs boost.There are few things we can do about it.
> >
> > rgds,
> > toomas

If we assume that 16:9 screens are the most common aspect ratio, and that
the font we use is 1:2 (which is just guesswork, based on the 8x16 console
font), that gives us a 32:9 aspect ratio counted in characters.

It seems sensible to stick to an integer multiple of that, to avoid any
uncomfortable stretching or scaling. The 480x135 console you got follows
that idea - it's the 15x scale. That's obviously a bit optimistic, but how
about the 3x or 4x scale, at 96x27 or 128x36?

--
Daniel Nebdal