Re: pkg vs uname troubles after upgrade to 14

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 10:20:04 -0800
Brandon Bergren bdragon at FreeBSD.org wrote on
Tue Feb 16 17:29:45 UTC 2021 :

> On Tue, Feb 16, 2021, at 10:38 AM, Ronald Klop wrote:
> > I normally compile WITHOUT_CLEAN. What is the shortcut to recompile
> > uname with the proper version nr and not having to recompiling clang?
> > Cleaning and rebuilding only uname does not help.
>
> Uh, I would drop into a buildenv with "make buildenv" and do the build there to ensure it's using the toolchain from your world build.
>
> the kernel version and the base system version are not the same thing. pkg attempts to install binaries compatible with the base system.
>
> Are you *sure* you did installworld after rebooting into the new kernel? For that matter, are you *sure* you have the correct branch checked out in the first place? Because it's acting as if you are on the wrong branch.

There are other reports of a:

pkg: Warning: Major OS version upgrade detected.  Running "pkg bootstrap -f" recommended

problem. The ones that I'm aware of are:

Xavier Humbert:
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2021-January/120144.html
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2021-February/120156.html

(It was split across the month boundary for "solved".)

Rainer Hurling:
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2021-January/120151.html

Dewayne Geraghty:
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2021-February/120154.html

Steve Kargl:
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2021-February/120298.html
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2021-February/120314.html

(The last for Steve K. is about how solved.)

But I cannot not tell if there is a common cause or a common
solution.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com