Re: buildkernel: don't know how to make cleandir in drm-current-kmod

From: Niclas Zeising <zeising+freebsd_at_daemonic.se>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 14:25:35 +0100
On 2021-02-18 09:41, Ruslan Makhmatkhanov wrote:
> Niclas Zeising wrote on 2/18/21 9:55 AM:
>> On 2021-02-18 06:32, Ruslan Makhmatkhanov wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> trying to build kernel from
>>> commit f61e92ca5a23450bc28169bbdd71d7674df98c19 (HEAD -> main,
>>> origin/main, origin/HEAD)
>>> Author: Glen Barber <gjb_at_FreeBSD.org>
>>> Date:   Wed Feb 17 23:00:03 2021 -0500
>>>
>>> world built ok, but then I have this on make kernel:
>>>
>>> ===> zlib (cleandir)
>>> rm -f export_syms machine x86 zlib.ko zlib.kld zcalloc.o zlib_mod.o
>>> adler32.o compress.o crc32.o deflate.o inffast.o inflate.o inftrees.o
>>> trees.o uncompr.o zutil.o offset.inc genoffset.o
>>> rm -f machine x86 .depend .depend.* GPATH GRTAGS GSYMS GTAGS
>>> ===> drm-current-kmod (cleandir)
>>> make[3]: don't know how to make cleandir. Stop
>>>
>>> make[3]: stopped in /usr/local/sys/modules/drm-current-kmod
>>> *** Error code 2
>>>
>>> Stop.
>>> make[2]: stopped in /usr/obj/mnt/hdd/src/amd64.amd64/sys/Z1
>>> *** Error code 1
>>>
>>> Stop.
>>> make[1]: stopped in /mnt/hdd/src
>>> *** Error code 1
>>>
>>> Stop.
>>> make: stopped in /mnt/hdd/src
>>>
>>> Tried to reinstall drm-current-kmod to not avail.
>>>

>> Can you check that you have the folder
>> /usr/local/sys/modules/drm-current-kmod, and that there are sources
>> inside?
>> drm-current-kmod no longer installs sources by default, please check
>> if you have enabled that option locally.
>> Regards
>

> That's what was installed by the package from official repo. Now I built
> it locally with making sure SOURCE option is enabled and kernel now
> builds. Thanks.
>
> So, was it some temporary decision to exclude sources from the package
> by default, or since now I should manually build drm-kmod package at
> every update?

We disabled the source option because it caused too much issues.
It catches people by surprise sometimes when the drm-kmod modules are
rebuilt automatically with the kernel, even when they are not in /usr/src.
The biggest problem though is that the general workflow often is to
rebuild the world, then the kernel, then update ports.  This means that
the drm-kmod srources won't be updated before the kernel is built,
causing build failures (if you need an updated drm-kmod because of
changes in the kernel).
Generally, the recommended way is to first buildworld/buildkernel,
install the new kernel, remove the old drm-current-kmod before booting
the new kernel, and then rebuild drm-current-kmod from ports with the
new kernel.
Regards
--
Niclas