Re: HEADS-UP: PIE enabled by default on main

From: Ihor Antonov <ihor_at_antonovs.family>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2021 20:34:11 -0800

> But isn't it well-known that ASLR/ASR/any-related-buzzwork does not add
> any security, except imaginary?  The only purpose of it is to have a
> check-list item ticked green.

I don't know if I should parse this as sarcasm (or any other form of
"humor") or is a serious statement? But this does leave me with a whole
bunch of questions..

If this is really how Konstantin is describing it then is it OK to say
about this to the whole Internet? Why FreeBSD Foundation is paying for
meaningless work then? Why members of the Core team do this work?  Does
this mean that FreeBSD is working to satisfy the silly needs of some fat
customer? What about project independence and not being controlled by
big money?

Where can I read about ASLR and security myths?
Why not spend time and explain why this does not work?

> You clearly should mean something useful and much more important than that,
> when stating that FreeBSD made a huge step forward.  So I want to be aware
> of the advance.

Why attack a person who was really happy for the project?
This DOES sound a agressive, even for a sarcastic joke..
I am saying this someone who shares the same native language with Mr. Belousov,
it is not a "language/culture" difference thing.

-----
just your regular user who reads mailing list ocassionally