Re: HEADS UP: FreeBSD src repo transitioning to git this weekend

From: Shawn Webb <shawn.webb_at_hardenedbsd.org>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2021 09:08:57 -0500
On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 09:25:08PM -0500, grarpamp wrote:
> > There is already HTTPS to protect the "authenticity" of the magnet
> > link.
>
> No. FreeBSD fails to publish signed fingerprints of their TLS pubkeys,
> therefore users can't pin them down, therefore any MITM can bypass
> CA game and MITM attack users at will, feed them bogus infohash,
> isos, git repo tofu, pkg, etc. MITM is bad, MITM is in use,
> and MITM fails when sig'd, verified, and pinned.

There's also nation states that require use of a nation state-owned
root CA cert so that they can MITM every single SSL/TLS connection.
Connections that don't use/support their custom trusted root cert are
either blocked or reported (or both). In this case, MITM isn't
theoretically broken, it's broken in practice. And, it's broken in the
worst case scenario: downloading source code that the nation state can
modify in-transit.

This is why I asked FreeBSD to provide anonymous read-only ssh://
support for git. I'm very grateful they support it. I also use it for
HardenedBSD's sync scripts due to my own distrust of browser-based
SSL/TLS PKI, even in the USA.

One thing that I need to do with the HardenedBSD infrastructure is
publish on our site the ssh pubkeys of the server (both RSA and
ed25519). I plan to do that sometime this coming week. I wonder if it
would be a good idea for FreeBSD to do the same (note: I'm not trying
to commit FreeBSD to do any work; I'm just spitballing ideas.)

Thanks,

--
Shawn Webb
Cofounder / Security Engineer

GPG Key ID:          0xFF2E67A277F8E1FA
GPG Key Fingerprint: D206 BB45 15E0 9C49 0CF9  3633 C85B 0AF8 AB23 0FB2
https://git-01.md.hardenedbsd.org/HardenedBSD/pubkeys/src/branch/master/Shawn_Webb/03A4CBEBB82EA5A67D9F3853FF2E67A277F8E1FA.pub.asc