Re: etcupdate, svnlite, documentation etc. following the transition of source to Git

From: David Wolfskill <david_at_catwhisker.org>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2021 07:53:54 -0800
On Sat, Jan 02, 2021 at 03:43:04PM +0000, Graham Perrin wrote:
> >> In this context, is `cd /usr/src` still true?
> > If you clone the repository to /usr/src instead of e.g.
> > /usr/src/freebsd-current.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> I imagine that use cases will _eventually_ include trios of directories,
> as siblings, for example:
>
> /usr/src/doc /usr/src/freebsd-stable
>
> /usr/src/ports

Please see hier(7).

The default (and expected) location of a given part of the tree (such as
sources residing in /usr/src/ and ports in /usr/ports/) is based on
their function, not on the mechanism used to update/maintain those files
-- which is completely orthogonal to the location.

> True: there's the tradition of /usr/ports

As documented in hier(7).

> however with all three things moved, or moving, to Git it seems (to me)
> sensible to have the source files for ports at
>
> /usr/src/ports
>
> For consistency. A cohesive approach.

Not on any machine where I decide where things go.  You're free to do
that, but IMO, you're setting yourself up for toe-stubbing and confusion
if you do.

Peace,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill                              david_at_catwhisker.org
My concern about US "election integrity" is about the attacks on that

See https://www.catwhisker.org/~david/publickey.gpg for my public key.