Re: CURRENT, usr/src on git, howto "mergemaster"?

From: Enji Cooper <yaneurabeya_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2021 11:47:53 -0800

…

> it's probably high time to stop escalating this thread. Some people like
> the way in which mergemaster copes with updates, some people like
> etcupdate. With Git clean and smudge filters applied on local repo and
> $FreeBSD$ IDs regenerated, mergemaster still works great and is more
> ergonomic in use for at least two people.

Hi Marek,
	I don’t take offense to your concerns. I’m just trying to be direct and understand gaps there possibly are that can be filled in in etcupdate(8). Your and others’ feedback is appreciated.
Thanks so much,
-Enji

PS While I admit that smudge filters are possible for managing diffs with mergemaster (and I think it’s a novel solution — I’ve never heard of that before), not everyone should have to set those up to use a core configuration tool. I find things like that unfortunate gaps in the tooling that drives away users instead of attracts them. I personally prefer focusing less on the nits and writing bespoke code for system administration, so I can focus on things which matter more to me in my life: people and nature.