Re: boot loader blank screen

From: Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_cschubert.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 09:51:16 -0800
In message <63A29589-22B5-495B-8E0D-14E13091D939_at_yahoo.com>, Mark Millard
write
s:

> d be cool if you can verify:)

> >> I think, I got it fixed (at least idwer did confirm for his system, thanks
> ). If you can test this patch: http://148-52-235-80.sta.estpak.ee/0001-loader
> -rewrite-font-install.patch <http://148-52-235-80.sta.estpak.ee/0001-loader-r
> ewrite-font-install.patch> it would be really nice.
> >>
> >> thanks,
> >> toomas
> >
> > I tested with each of the following "stanzas' in /boot/loader.conf,
> > using vt (vs. syscons) in each case (though that breaks video reset
> > on resume after suspend):
> >
> > . . .
>
> I've done no experiments with an explicit vbe_max_resolution
> setting. My context for hw.vga.textmode="0" shows up as
> 1920x1200. (I do have the font for this set to 8x16, making
> for lots of character cells across and down.)
>

> For the below I do not have hw.vga.textmode="0".
>
> > # hw.vga.textmode="0"

textmode=1 doesn't work either. Been using it for years and this is the
first time it's borked.

> > # vbe_max_resolution=1280x800
> >
> > (That is, not specifying anything for hw.vga.textmode or
> > vbe_max_resolution.)
> >
> > This boots OK, but I see no kernel probe messages or single- to
> > multi-user mode messages.  I can use (e.g.) Ctl+Alt+F2 to switch to
> > vty1, see a "login: " prompt, and that (also) works.  (This is the
> > initial symptom I had reported.)
>
> So I tried commenting out hw.vga.textmode="1" and I saw everything
> I expected in my context. Whiteish on black background (or at least
> something very dark). I did not take videos to do detailed
> inspections.

Didn't work for me. Then again my old eyes didn't detect much difference in
contrast.

> > hw.vga.textmode="1"
> > # vbe_max_resolution=1280x800
> >
> > This works -- boots OK, and I see kernel probe (&c.) messages; this is a
> > text console (mostly blue text; some white, against a dark background.
> > It's a medium-light blue, so it's easy enough to read (unlike a navy
> > blue, for example).
>
> FYI: whiteish on black (or at least something very dark)
> in my hw.vga.textmode="1" context. I saw everything here
> as well. I did not take videos to do detailed inspections.
>
> I did not notice any way to tell hw.vga.textmode="1" from
> having no hw.vga.textmode assignment at all. But, again,
> I did not set up for an after-the-fact detailed review of
> what is displayed.

Everything becomes normal when X starts, except for the three machines
downstairs which don't use X.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_cschubert.com>