Re: poudriere && moving from svn to git for downloading source

From: Guido Falsi <mad_at_madpilot.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2021 09:54:54 +0100
On 07/01/21 09:27, Matthias Apitz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I use poudriere to compile my used ports. Could someone please explain
> or point me to a document which explains the now to be used syntax to
> create (i.e. checkout) the jail and the ports tree. Actually I'm using
> something like:
>
> # poudriere jail -c -j freebsd-r368166 -m svn+http -v head_at_r368166
>
> or
>
> # poudriere jail -c -j freebsd-head -m svn+http

I updated yesterday using git. I could not find a way to force a
specific commit via git in poudriere for base, so I created my own for
of the sources in github, which I will update manually, in this way I
can reference there and know exactly which "revision" I'm getting.

This setup would also allow me to test patches by creaating branches and
can be used to submit patches and even commit them(if I'm authorized,
having only a ports commit bit)

I used this command to recreate the jail:

poudriere jail -c -j 13amd64 -v main -a amd64 -m git+https

where main is the main branch, just like head used to be.

> and for the ports tree
>
> # poudriere ports -c -p ports-20201130  -m svn -U svn://svn.freebsd.org/ports/

AFAIK the ports tree is still on subversion, so I'm keeping my old setup
(using portshaker).

When the ports tree will move I also plan to create my own fork of the
ports tree repo, with some branches I will use for testing things and
have poudriere grab those. I have not tested using git for ports but I
guess command line would look like this:

poudriere ports -c -p ports-testing -m git -B testing -U
https://github.com/user/ports-fork.git

Obviously if a user is not interested in testing things or create
patches he/she have no need to create a fork and can grab bits directly
from https://git.freebsd.org/ports.git.

AFAIK creating forks and a lot of branches is "the git way".

--
Guido Falsi <mad_at_madpilot.net>