Re: src: continued use of Subversion for getting updates

From: Lucas Nali de Magalhães <rollingbits_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2021 22:42:31 -0300
> On Jan 9, 2021, at 12:24 PM, Frank Seltzer <frank_s_at_bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 23:00:35 -0700
> Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com> wrote:
>
>> That would. I'll make sure something is written up, but it should exactly
>> like before.
>
> Is there a cookbook guide to converting to git from svn for people who just
> want to checkout source to buildworld and keep the ports tree up to date?

Hi.

There is a few good references in this thread already but I was looking for the
same info… I did the old way I knew.

The git man page gives a starting point in full details and includes the references
to gittutorial, gittutorial-2 and gitworkflows man pages.

From an inexistent /usr/src, first get the sources:

cd /usr
git clone <repo> src

Then switch to the desired branch:

git checkout <branch>

<modify, compile as desired>

To update, first switch to head again (you will have to deal with your modifications
in some way):

git checkout main

Then update:

git pull

I omitted all the details and many useful options. Ideally, a distributed VCS like git
lets you work and save your modifications in your own branch.

--
rollingbits — 📧 rollingbits_at_icloud.com 📧 rollingbits_at_gmail.com 📧 rollingbits_at_yahoo.com 📧 rollingbits_at_terra.com.br 📧 rollingbits_at_globo.com