snd_hda random crack noise on Realtek ALC257

From: Ali Abdallah <ali.abdallah_at_suse.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2021 12:51:07 +0100
Hello,

I'm running 13-current on my Thinkpad T495 (AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 3700U)
It has the following sound devices:

cat /dev/sndstat
Installed devices:
pcm0: <ATI R6xx (HDMI)> (play) default
pcm1: <ATI R6xx (HDMI)> (play)
pcm2: <ATI R6xx (HDMI)> (play)
pcm3: <Realtek ALC257 (Analog 2.0+HP/2.0)> (play/rec)
pcm4: <USB audio> (play/rec)
No devices installed from userspace.

So far so good, but randomly, while listening to music videos, there is
a random crack noise for about a second coming out of the HDMI monitor
speaker (or the internal laptop speaker when pcm3 is used). It is not
very frequent, but quiet annoying. The noise is not associated
particularly with heavy load, it is random even when I'm running
literally nothing but the music player.

I've played with the vchans settings, snd.latency setting, but nothing
improved the situation. The only thing that solved completely the issue
is assigning a single processor to the media player.

$ cpuset -l 0 mpv --audio-device=oss//dev/dsp0 video_file.mp4

That worked with firefox as well, even under heavy load. I don't have
pulseaudio, but I've tried also sound with pulseaudio and sndio, same
issue.

Any thoughts?

Ali