Re: boot loader blank screen

From: Jakob Alvermark <jakob_at_alvermark.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 08:15:05 +0100
On 1/14/21 4:49 AM, monochrome wrote:
> I should add my experience to this since its different and haven't
> seen anyone else mention it.
> I see the new boot loader, it's not blank, but its large text, and
> it's very SLOW.
> I can see each char drawn, and then when it gets to the bottom and has
> to redraw all the lines to scroll up for new lines, it loads so slowly
> it's like watching an 8086 on a 300 baud modem, or slower! Takes like
> an extra 30 seconds to get through all the loaded modules, then back
> to normal speed boot with the same large font.
>
> added these lines and everything is back to normal with new appearance
> and small font like before, and at normal speed.
> hw.vga.textmode="0"
> vbe_max_resolution=1280x800
>
> also removed the old lines for the amdgpu efi problem with no effect
> so I assume those are no longer necessary and why I'm seeing this change?
> #hw.syscons.disable=1
> #kern.vty=vt
> #hw.vga.textmode=1
>
> am using X and everything seems fine for now
>
> system:
> AMD Ryzen 5 2400G, using integrated vega GPU
> ASRock B450M Pro4
> 13-current

>>> I think, I got it fixed (at least idwer did confirm for his system,
>>> thanks). If you can test this patch:
>>> http://148-52-235-80.sta.estpak.ee/0001-loader-rewrite-font-install.patch
>>> <http://148-52-235-80.sta.estpak.ee/0001-loader-rewrite-font-install.patch>
>>> it would be really nice.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> toomas
>>
>> I tested with each of the following "stanzas' in /boot/loader.conf,
>> using vt (vs. syscons) in each case (though that breaks video reset
>> on resume after suspend):
>>
>> # hw.vga.textmode="0"
>> vbe_max_resolution=1280x800
>>
>> This works, and provides a graphical console (depth 32).
>>

>> hw.vga.textmode="0"
>> # vbe_max_resolution=1280x800
>>
>> This also works, and provides a low-resolution (and depth 16)
>> graphical console (800x320 or something similar, IIRC).
>>

>> # hw.vga.textmode="0"
>> # vbe_max_resolution=1280x800
>>
>> (That is, not specifying anything for hw.vga.textmode or
>> vbe_max_resolution.)
>>
>> This boots OK, but I see no kernel probe messages or single- to
>> multi-user mode messages.  I can use (e.g.) Ctl+Alt+F2 to switch to
>> vty1, see a "login: " prompt, and that (also) works.  (This is the
>> initial symptom I had reported.)
>>

>> hw.vga.textmode="1"
>> # vbe_max_resolution=1280x800
>>
>> This works -- boots OK, and I see kernel probe (&c.) messages; this is a
>> text console (mostly blue text; some white, against a dark background.
>> It's a medium-light blue, so it's easy enough to read (unlike a navy
>> blue, for example).
>>

>> FreeBSD g1-55.catwhisker.org 13.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 13.0-CURRENT #113
>> main-c255601-g9fd96b416c45-dirty: Tue Jan  5 17:24:45 PST 2021
> [...]

+1 on the slowness.

I like the graphics mode, it's very pretty.

But slow. It seems to depend a lot on the screen resolution. On my small
laptop, 1366x768, it's fairly OK. On the 1080p laptop it is very much
slower, it takes about 35 seconds longer compared to the old loader.

Booting on a 4K monitor, well, I didn't time it...

Jakob