Re: Invoking -v for clang during buildworld

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2021 15:04:04 -0800
On 2021-Jan-16, at 14:03, bob prohaska <fbsd at www.zefox.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 11:17:52AM -0800, Mark Millard wrote:

>>> I've put what I hope is a useful picture at
>>> http://www.zefox.net/~fbsd/rpi2/buildworld/
>>
>> Looks to me like your -DNO_CLEAN based build is reusing one or
>> more files with inappropriate/incomplete contents that need to
>> be regenerated: there are a number of undefined symbols stopping
>> the linker during its attempt to build the "usr.bin/clang/clang
>> (all)" material. See below.
>>
> [examples snipped]
>>
>> FYI:
>>
>> I found this by noting the "all_subdir_usr.bin" below and
>> searching backwards for prior examples and seeing what was
>> after those examples.
>>
>> --- all_subdir_usr.bin ---
>> c++: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
>> *** [clang.full] Error code 1
>>

> It never dawned that I wasn't looking at the first error message.

Other than -j1 style builds (or equivalent), one pretty much
always needs to go looking around for a non-panic failure. It
is uncommon for all the material to be together in the build
log in such contexts.

>> The undefined symbols seem unlikely to be a voltage problem.
>>
>> The zeros are from the units for the integers not being volts
>> but micro volts. (Which is not the same as saying measurements
>> reach that scale of accuracy.)
>>

> So long as  they're measured values they might be worth keeping track of.
> I thought maybe they were some sort of input or placeholder values.

I do not know what FreeBSD does with the values. But the RPi firmware
may be still doing something despite FreeBSD being what was booted.
(I've no clue if such is the case.)

> Not needed now, but worth remembering for the future.

META_MODE also notices more causes of needing to rebuild something.
It actually compares the old command to the new one to notice
differences. It also has information to compare about files opened
during the prior build of the file, more than make tracks on its
own. (Such is based on filemon.ko being loaded and then in use.)

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com
( dsl-only.net went