Re: Silent hang in buildworld, was Re: Invoking -v for clang during buildworld

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 09:51:36 -0800
On 2021-Jan-17, at 19:19, Mark Millard <marklmi at yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> or some such to limit the multi-thread linking and its memory.
>> No, I wasn't trying to limit ld.lld thread number.
>
> You might want to try a significant change in the memory use
> just to see if it makes a difference or not --despite the
> extra time. This could included limiting lld thread usage
> and limiting to a smaller -jN .
>
>>> I'll note that if -j4 gets 4 links running in parallel it used
>>> to be each could have something like 5 threads active on a 4
>>> core machine, so 20 or so threads. (I've not checked llvm11's
>>> lld behavior. It might avoid such for defaults.)
>>>
>>> You have not reported any testing of -j2 or -j3 so far, just
>>> -j4 . (Another way of limiting memory use, power use, temperature,
>>> etc. .)
>>>
>> Not recently, simply because it's so slow to build. On my "production"
>> armv7 machines running stable/12 I do use -j2. But, they get updated
>> only a couple times per year, when there's a security issue.
>
> See the earlier note about possibly deliberate test of
> using less memory space. (And more later, below.)
>
>>> You have not reported if your boot complained about the swap
>>> space size or if you have adjusted related settings to make
>>> non-default tradeoffs for swap amanagment for these specific
>>> tests. I recommend not tailoring and using a swap size total
>>> that is somewhat under what starts to complain when there is
>>> no tailoring.
>>>
>> Both Pi2 and Pi3 have been complaining about too much swap
>> since I first got them. Near as can be told it's never been
>> a demonstrated problem, thus far. Now, as things like LLVM
>> get bigger and bigger, it seems possible excess swap might
>> cause, or obscure, other problems. For the Pi2 I picked 2
>> GB from the old "2x physical RAM" rule.
>
> I'd take those warnings as FreeSD reporting that the system is
> expected to be in a mistuned configuration by "normal" criteria.
> Doing the tuning to allow more swap has the documented tradeoffs:
>
>  kern.maxswzone
> . . .
>
>                Note that swap metadata can be fragmented, which means that
>                the system can run out of space before it reaches the
>                theoretical limit.  Therefore, care should be taken to not
>                configure more swap than approximately half of the
>                theoretical maximum.
>
> (The above is what the warning is about. But then there is . . .)
>
>                Running out of space for swap metadata can leave the system
>                in an unrecoverable state.  Therefore, you should only
>                change this parameter if you need to greatly extend the KVM
>                reservation for other resources such as the buffer cache or
>                kern.ipc.nmbclusters.  Modifies kernel option
>                VM_SWZONE_SIZE_MAX.
>
> (NOTE: That last paragraph is talking about *decreasing* kern.maxswzone
> to get more room for non-swap-managment things in KVM. [Too bad the
> wording says "change".] But increasing kern.maxswzone to allow more swap
> leaves less space for the buffer cache or like, making for tradeoffs

FYI: I re-established my access to a RPi2B V1.1 and made
it report: "maximum recommended amount (468832 pages)"

(The figure can vary some from release to release.)

468832*4096 == 1920335872 or a little over 1831 MiBytes

For the 4096 Byte pages, that means that the following from
gpart fits without complaint (size is in blocks, not pages):

  413140992    3686400  da0p2  freebsd-swap  (1.8G)

3686400*512 is a little over 1.75 GiByte or 1800 MiByte. So
I've left some room below 1831 MiBytes, but not a lot.

FYI about my build experiment that is running:

# sysctl hw.physmem
hw.physmem: 979042304

which, in recent times for armv7, I can (and did) set in
/boot/loader.conf on a faster cortex-A7 SBC (that can boot
the same media but has more RAM).

So I tried a -j4 build, but with LDFLAGS.lld+= -Wl,--threads=1
in use and my other particular src.conf/make.conf like content
(so the builds do likely differ from yours in various ways).
My build is producing a non-debug build (but with -g symbols).
Somewhat after where your buildworld.log stops, my odd variant
of top was reporting:

Mem:  . . . , 753672Ki MaxObsActive, 200412Ki MaxObsWired, 892732Ki MaxObs(Act+Wir)
Swap: . . . , 145832Ki MaxObsUsed

and top was also showing lots of processes as having "0B" RES
in STATE "wait" or "nanslp" (so, apparently swapped out, not paging).
("MaxObs" is short for "maximum observed".)

For comparison, your swapscript.log reported a maximum total of
346192 KiBytes "Used" for swap, about 98% into the log file.

(Time goes by . . .)

It finished with building libllvm and is part way into building
libclang. This is probably well past where your hangup happened,
given that your published buildworldlog file stopped with
libllvm's Target/ARM/ARMMCInstLower.o . My odd top now shows:

Mem:  . . . , 753672Ki MaxObsActive, 200412Ki MaxObsWired, 892732Ki MaxObs(Act+Wir)
Swap: . . . , 392328Ki MaxObsUsed

The build continues to run. I'll let you know how it goes.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com
( dsl-only.net went