Re: DRM problem installing kernel on main-c561-gc3e75b6c1

From: Pete Wright <pete_at_nomadlogic.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 13:29:12 -0800
On 1/19/21 1:18 PM, Emmanuel Vadot wrote:

>> interesting - so it seems like if i have drm-devel-kmod installed this
>> will fail (missing or wrong linuxkpi_gplv2.ko).  this happens both if i
>> install the pkg and rebuild the kernel, and if i build the kernel w/o
>> the pkg installed.
>   Don't use the package, always rebuild from the latest ports.
see bellow
>> yet, if i have the drm-current-kmod pkg installed, then "make
>> buildkernel" it looks like the i915/amdgpu modules get build and an
>> "installkernel" drops the linuxkpi_gplv2.ko module under /boot/kernel.
>> at that point i am able to successfully load the amdgpu.ko.
>   drm-current-kmod will also install its sources in /usr/local/sys/ and
> this will get built with buildkernel. The problem is that if the
> package is old (and it is right now) you might have sources that either
> don't compile or don't work correctly.
OK interesting, in both cases I was building the package from my local
ports tree (via "make package").  i should have better explained that in
previous emails.

i verified my checkout was up to date as well (it includes your latest
commits from Sunday and Monday).

i'm happy now running the current-kmod but let me know if it'd be
helpful to do any more tests or provide additional info.

cheers,
-pete

--
Pete Wright