Can In-Kernel TLS (kTLS) work with any OpenSSL Application?

From: Neel Chauhan <nc_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 12:21:15 -0800
Hi freebsd-current_at_,

I know that In-Kernel TLS was merged into the FreeBSD HEAD tree a while
back.

With 13.0-RELEASE around the corner, I'm thinking about upgrading my
home server, well if I can accelerate any SSL application.

I'm asking because I have a home server on a symmetrical Gigabit
connection (Google Fiber/Webpass), and that server runs a Tor relay. If
you're interested in how Tor works, the EFF has a writeup:
https://www.eff.org/pages/what-tor-relay

But the main point for you all is: more-or-less Tor relays deal with
1000s TLS connections going into and out of the server.

Would In-Kernel TLS help with an application like Tor (or even load
balancers/TLS termination), or is it more for things like web servers
sending static files via sendfile() (e.g. CDN used by Netflix).

My server could also work with Intel's QuickAssist (since it has an
Intel Xeon "Scalable" CPU). Would QuickAssist SSL be more helpful here?

I'm asking since I don't know whether to upgrade my home server to 13.x
or leave it at 12.x. Yes, I do know we need a special OpenSSL to use
kTLS.

-Neel