Re: make buildkernel is broken (linuxkpi vs drm)

From: Emmanuel Vadot <manu_at_bidouilliste.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 11:50:15 +0100
On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 22:21:09 -0800
Steve Kargl <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 07:18:07AM +0100, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> > On 1/21/21 7:13 AM, Steve Kargl wrote:
> > > It is 'make buildkernel' in /usr/src after a 'make buildworld'.
> > > I have 'PORTS_MODULES+= graphics/drm-current-kmod' in /etc/make.conf.
> >
> > Try to update the ports tree. I'm not aware of any current build issues in
> > this area.
> >

> I tried that.  I did not fix the problem.  Commenting
> out the PORTS_MODULES line in /etc/make.conf allows
> me to finish building the new kernel.  I re-install
> the port after I install world/kernel.
>
> --
> Steve

 Does it works now ?

 I think that PORTS_MODULES shouldn't be used for drm-current-kmod or
we should not install the source with it if PORTS_MODULES is the right
way.

 The problem is that drm-current-kmod install its sources
in /usr/local/sys and by default all modules there will be rebuild when
doing make buildkernel unless LOCAL_MODULES is defined.
 The problem with installing sources is that if something changed in
base that broke the build with a certain version of drm-current-kmod
you first need to upgrade the ports/package to have the new sources to
be able to make buildkernel correctly.
 I personally hate the fact that we install the sources as it only
causes problems for users but some people seems to like it.
 It seems that if we don't install the sources and one uses
PORTS_MODULES we just need to upgrade the ports tree before running
make buildkernel if there is a conflicting changes which seems saner to
me tbh.

 For now I've been focusing the rage that LOCAL_MODULES exists and
cause this kind of problems on migrating more stuff into base so that
one day we will finally have drm in base again. But I'm a bit
tired of dealing with all those problems and I've wondered a lot of
times about removing installing sources for drm-current-kmod.

 Adding jhb_at_ to cc as I know he uses LOCAL_MODULES so maybe he can
explain the advantage over PORTS_MODULES.

--
Emmanuel Vadot <manu_at_bidouilliste.com> <manu_at_freebsd.org>