Re: git: a9fc14fbf445 - main - newvers.sh: add support for gitup(1) [the removal of git branch information]

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 13:59:41 -0800
On 2021-Jan-21, at 09:24, Mark Millard <marklmi at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ulrich Spörlein uqs at FreeBSD.org wrote on
> Wed Jan 20 09:49:49 UTC 2021 :
>
>>    While here, drop the redundant branch name from the git output and don't
>>    count commits in shallow clones.
>>

> The branch name part of the patch breaks how I work with multiple
> branches and I will be locally "reverting" it in my branches
> unless FreeBSD itself reverts it. For my context it even breaks
> how I would work for main vs. stable/12 if I ever did something
> with stable/12 . (I'm not using shallow clones, it is the branch
> name removal that messes up my specific way of working.) In other
> words, for how I choose to work, the branch name is not redundant.
>
> Going in another direction: mixing gitup/clone-counting and the
> branch name removal in the same commit and in the code structure
> means that I'm unable to just skip a commit to deal with the
> branch name issue.

I had an exchange with Michael Osipov and he reports that
he "advocated to have" the git branch information. So, for:

"While here, drop the redundant branch name from the git output"

do not take the content of the commit log as indicating that
Michael Osipov was asking for this part of the change.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com
( dsl-only.net went