Re: FreeBSD-provided .vhd with VirtualBox: gpart I/O errors after resizing the virtual hard disk

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 23:55:11 -0800
Graham Perrin grahamperrin at gmail.com wrote on
Mon Jan 25 22:08:53 UTC 2021 :

. . . omitted material, including steps 01..13 . . .

Your steps 01..13 make no mention of involving growfs
as indicated in "man 8 growfs". I'd guess that the
growfs step would be after step 8 (recover) and before
10 (show). (FYI: There is also a "man 7 growfs".)

> With FreeBSD-provided 'FreeBSD-12.1-RELEASE-amd64.vhd', things seem even
> worse. Please see, for example, this screen recording:
>
> <https://photos.app.goo.gl/4xE6w5uPmwWGPNxD9>
>
> What's going wrong?
>
> Is it necessary to boot first from something _other_ than the resized
> disk, for things such as gpart recover to proceed without I/O error for
> the resized disk?

I looked at the screen recording's playback and . . .

You have made no mention of the cylinder checksum failure notices
or at what stage they first occurred. That might be important.
I've no clue if they might be an initial cause of issues vs.
them being an effect that might also contribute to later issues
when the checksums fail.

Unfortunately, it does not look like "man fsck_ffs" covers its
cylinder checksum failure handling:

** Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups

(At least I presume that phase is related to what the failure
notices are reporting.)

I'm afraid I'm of no general help but it looked like some extra
information might be appropriate --or the man 8 or 7 growfs
related activity being involved might avoid later getting cylinder
checksum failure notices.

I hope this proves of some help, but, if it is not, I'm unlikely
to have more information, sorry.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com