Re: zpool upgrade to draid feature: does it require updated zfs boot code ?

From: Xin Li <delphij_at_delphij.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 16:25:05 -0800
On 1/28/21 11:00, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Short question:
>
> Does a zpool upgrade on 14.0 (current) for the draid feature
> require a boot code update ?
>
> Long version of the same question:
[...]
> With the draid update, no message was displayed.
>
> Does it require the bootcode update anyway or, if not, why not ?

This sounded like a bug.  Is it your boot pool, or just a regular data pool?

>  gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 nvd0
>  gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 nvd1

To answer your short question: do I need to update bootcode?  No if
draid is the only feature that you have enabled on an existing pool, but
personally I don't recommend upgrading boot pool right now.

The reason for that "No" answer is 1) the boot code do not currently
support draid, and 2) enabling the feature won't activate it until draid
vdev is added to the pool, which is quite unlikely in your case; note
that if you do add draid vdev, your bootcode won't be able to boot from
it anymore.

On my personal laptop, old bootcode would boot pool with draid enabled
but not activated just fine (note that the loader.efi on -CURRENT won't
boot my P51, which I will start a separate discussion; I used
FreeBSD-13.0-CURRENT-amd64-20201231-282381aa53a-255460-memstick.img and
fixed my EFI loader and it worked fine with the draid-enabled boot ZFS
pool).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,