Re: HEADS-UP: PIE enabled by default on main

From: John Kennedy <warlock_at_phouka.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2021 08:06:41 -0800
On Sun, Feb 28, 2021 at 09:40:54AM -0500, Shawn Webb wrote:
> ... The point of ASLR is to combine it with W^X. Without W^X, ASLR makes
> no sense. FreeBSD recently gained a W^X implementation that requires
> opt-in. ...

  I'm not plugged into the right places to catch some of these things up
front.  Like PIE, I trip across how to enable them after the fact by finding
people talking about it here.

  My google-fu is getting a lot of bad hits, but I assume this is referring
to making writable memory non-executable (above and beyond malloc()'s M_EXEC
flag with it's disclaimers).  What are the keyword/feature/knobs to get
better informed and opt-in?